Tuesday 19 November 2013

What is design for Web?- Research OUGD504

Research

Ok, so having all the research from my summer brief into Cocktails, I have decided to look into different elements of websites and select aspects that I like and dislike... I also want to gather research into the kind of aesthetic I wish to produce the website in.

The Jakes bar website reflects an old fashioned still room aesthetic. I particularly like the border around the actual page, It makes the website look less...flat? The drop down bar that runs along the top isn't plain which makes it interesting and creates an anchorage point to each page.

The inclusion of an interactive menu is a good idea so that the audience feel more involved with the website and therefore the bar itself... it also allows the audience to browse the menu to see what drinks are available at the bar.




The website for The Alchemist is very minimal almost as though to create a statement and draw the audience's attention to the information being supplied. Personally, I don't appreciate the absolute minimal explored throughout this website, It is very standard and I don't find the site very visually appealing.



Although the same company as The Alchemist, The Botanist Website experiments more with interlinking sophistication and image within its website design therefore creating a more visually pleasing aesthetic. The off white background isn't as clinical as the Alchemist website and the green, decorative border creates an interesting frame to another somewhat, basic grid layout.


The website above is for Max Cooper and breaks typical conventions of having the menu bar across the top of the web page but instead, the bottom. I like the idea of this placement however, it may alter the ease of navigation. I like the geometric based image that creates an intro page to the website.


The Unknown festival in Croatia has an interesting and light hearted website shown above... The playful colours used emphasise the summer aesthetic. The combination of vast landscape photographs along with hand written, childish text creates a fun website to look at when considering the subject is a festival.





The two images above have been selected because I found an interest in the photographs of the drinks and ingredients. The photos are highly saturated and when placed next to one another, create a juxtaposition of hue that is appealing to the audience.


The illustrated pieces above create more of a personal approach to image use on a website. I do like photographs yet I also like the idea of including illustration. I may try combining the two...illustrating over the photographs?


The two images above are examples 








No comments:

Post a Comment